Background on Blog

This blog shares 40 books that I have chosen to display for class Reading 4050 Section 12 . All books have a summary and other important information that makes each book special. Happy Reading!

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Picture Book #26

Title:  I Love Saturdays y Domingos
Author:  Alma Flor Ada
Illustrator: Elivia Savadier
Genre:  Youth Fiction
Subgenre:   Early Reader Realistic Fiction
Themes: Mexican culture, American culture, activities with grandparents and birthdays
Primary and Secondary Characters: little girl, grandpa, grandma, abuelita and abuelito
Awards:  2006 Golden Sower Award Nominee 
Date of Publication:  2002
Publishing Company:  Atheneum Books for Young Readers

Summary:
Being in half Spanish and English, this book discusses what life is like for a little girl who has a set of American and Mexican grandparents.  Spending the day with her American grandparents is similar to the day she spends with her Mexican grandparents, except for the language.  She spends Saturday's with her American grandparents and "Domingos" with her Mexican grandparents.  This book incorporates both English and Spanish in counting, animals, expressions and foods.  The little girl learns about the background of each grandparent and where they came from.  She is proud or "orgullo" of her grandparents for all the hard work they did when they were a little kid like her.  When the little girl's birthday rolls around, both grandparents arrive at her house and they give her gifts that combine both cultures together, giving her the best of both worlds.  To top off her birthday party, the little girl breaks her "pinata" and gets a variety of candies, treats and trinkets.  Everyone sings her "Happy Birthday" or "Feliz Cumpleanos."  Another special song in Spanish is sung to her.  She had a wonderful birthday, thanks to all 4 of her grandparents, her parents and friends!
How it will be used in the classroom:
Since diversity is big to teach within the classrooms, this books is a great example to show students a variety of cultures coming together.  This book is very true to me since I am Mexican-American.  I can very much relate to this book and I would love to be able to share this culture with my students.  Just as it is important for me to share my culture with my students, it's also important that I know theirs as well.  I hope this book could be a reason for my students to share their culture with me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment